What is Grey Power ?
Those involved in the early days were angry at the imposition of the surcharge on New Zealand Superannuation. Originally formed as the Auckland Superannuitants Association, Grey Power has grown nationally and gone from strength to strength. Today there are about 70,000 financial members that stem from more than 76 Associations that are spread throughout the country.
The Grey Power movement has become a voice in Parliament and advocate for the 50+ age group. Grey Power is well positioned as an effective lobby group for the elderly and is respected by Government as an advocacy group and is asked for input by Government on many issues.
Grey Power’s Aims and Objectives
- To advance, support and protect the welfare and well being of older people.
- To affirm and protect that statutory right of every New Zealand resident, to a sufficient New Zealand Superannuation entitlement.
- To strive for a provision of a quality Health Care to all New Zealand residents regardless of income and location.
- To oppose all discriminatory and disadvantageous legislation affecting rights, security and dignity.
- To be non aligned with any political party, and to present a strong united lobby to all Parliament and statutory bodies on matters affecting New Zealanders.
- To promote and establish links with kindred organizations.
- To promote recognition of the wide-ranging services provided by senior citizens of New Zealand.
- To gain recognition as an appropriate voice for all older New Zealanders.
Tauranga & Western Bay Of Plenty Grey Power Association:
The organisation was incorporated under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 originally on the 4th July 1986 under the name ‘Tauranga National Superannuitants Assn’. The name was changed on the 14th June 1994 to Western BOP Grey Power Assn. In May 2014 the name was changed again to Tauranga & Western BOP Grey Power Assn. It has approximately 1200 members.
Tauranga & Western BOP Grey Power Assn Office is located in the Historic Village, 17th Avenue, Tauranga. We have volunteers who man the office five days a week opening from 10 am – 1pm daily. We run a busy office helping our members with various matters including membership registrations and signing them up for the Grey Power Electricity.
We are a lobby organisation promoting the welfare and well being of citizens in 50+ age group. Grey Power is the voice for this age group and will have an even bigger influence in the coming years as the ‘Baby Boomers’ move into retirement.
PRESIDENT – Jennifer Custins
VICE PRESIDENT – David Marshall
MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY – Donna la Fauci
MAGAZINE EDITOR – Barbara Stimson
Committee : Jill Marshall & Norm Mayo